The history of Christianity in Taghmon begins at the time of St. Fintan
in the late sixth century and continues through a long list of Catholic,
Protestant and Quaker clergymen. Many of the individuals who
ministered in the parish warrant further study and attention. Several
left an indelible mark and future editions of this journal will carry in
depth studies of these individuals. This article is confined to a
schedule of the abbots of the monastic settlement at Taghmon and a
chronological listing of the Parish Priests and Curates, with
FINTAN AND HIS IMMEDIATE SUCCESSORS.
Fintan was born near Derry and was the son of a druid named
Tulchan, and Fidelma. He was a significant figure in the early Irish
Church and attended the Synod of Leighlin in 630 AD, where the
fixing of the date of Easter was argued at length by two
uncompromising factions. His real name was Fionn. This was
latinised to Fintanus. The term of endearment, as used by the ancient
Irish, was 'Mo Fhionn' - my Fintan. This, or 'Mo-Fhionn-og', or
'Munna' was what he was called in his own mother-tongue. To the
ordinary illiterate folk of the time, it was a SOUND, not a spelling.
'Mo-Fhionn' was pronounced 'Mohin' and over the course of time
evolved into Munn or Munna. Thus, it is wrong to call him Fintan
Munn/Munna. He is either Fintan or Munn/Munna - not both.
Neither is the name 'Teach Munna' absolutely correct. It is 'Teach
Mo-Fhionn', by the sound of it, and grammatically 'Teach Mo-Fhinn'
as the genitive case of Fionn is Finn - with the 'F' silent. Fintan, if he
were alive today, would be called 'Fintan (of Fionn) Mac Tulchain'.
Fintan's feast day is 21 Oct.
It is clear from the various Latin lives of Fintan that intense rivalry
existed between himself and St. Aidan, the first Bishop of Ferns.
Grattan Flood in his 'History of The Diocese of Ferns' lists 'St. Tuenoc
Mac Fintan' in 663 AD as the third Bishop of Ferns. As celibacy in
the church had not yet become an accepted pattern , it is conceivable,
even likely, that this man was a son of Fintan of Taghmon. He may
even have been his father's successor as Abbott of the monastery of
Taghmon. The life and times of Fintan will be the subject of an article
in a future edition of this journal.
c.599 - 636 St. Fintan
636 Tuenoc Mac Fintan?
673 Fechin of Fore?
777 Ciaran of Taghmon died.
817 Crunumhael of Teach Munna, died
854 Laisren, of Teach Munna, died
859 Fiachra, Abbot of Teach Munna, died
885 Dunghal, son of Cathal, Vice Abbot of Teach Munna, died.
886 Diarmaid, son of Rui, Abbot of Teach Munna, died.
889 Cochlan, Abbot of Teach Munna, died.
925 Soichleachan, Abbot of Teach Munna, died.
953 Dunlang Mac-Ua-Donnagain, Abbot of Inis-Doimhle and Teach
Munna, died. Dunlang died in 960 and shortly afterwards the
monastery became derelict.
PARISH PRIESTS OF TAGHMON
1644 Rev. Patrick Hore P.P.
He was one of the family of The Hore's of Harperstown. The family
later changed their religion to Church of Ireland. His tomb is in the
1690-1740 Rev. Gregory Downes P.P.
He was born in Tintern Parish in 1661 and ordained on 10/3/1686 in
Salamanca by the Bishop of Salamanca. His sureties were Caesar
Colclough of Rosegarland and Oliver Colclough of Mocurry. He was
Archdeacon and Vicar General of Ferns by 1739. He was tried at the
Wexford Assizes in 1702 for having given faculties to Rev. Michael
Downes, but was released on bail. He lived at Bricketstown. In 1704
he was listed as P.P. of "Taghmon, Coulstuffe and White-Church."
1740 - 1769 Rev. Patrick Redmond P.P.
In 1740, William Hore reported Fr. Redmond as " a Popish
clergyman in the Mass House of Taghmon" residing at the house of
his brother, James Redmond, Harveystown, Taghmon. Hore "locked
up the Mass House and allowed no admittance into it in the shape of
the Popish worship." Bishop Sweetman's report on Fr. Redmond, in
1753, says that he was an able pastor and a good preacher.
1769-1789 Rev. Malachy (Loftus) Brennan P.P.
He was born c.1744, probably at Forest, Taghmon. He is the man
who was P.P. when Bishop Sweetman consecrated Dr. Egan as
Bishop of Waterford and Lismore on Trinity Sunday 1771. This took
place at St. Mary's Church, opposite 'The Old Mill', in which the
ruins of the old church are still barely visible. Fr. Brennan resided at
Forest and died in 1789 aged 45. The Brennan family of Forest,
Taghmon were prominent in producing clergymen . Other members
of this family were Rev. Thomas Brennan (1748-1771), another Rev.
Thomas Brennan who was P.P. of Bree and Davidstown (1719-1775),
Rev. Loftus Brennan, who was P.P. of Taghmon 1849-1866 (see
below) and Rev. Edward Brennan who died C.C. of Camolin on
12/11/1890. Four of these clergymen are buried in the family plot in
1772 Thomas Ennis was "pastor of Taghmon" He was probably a
1789-1795 Rev. Bryan Murphy
He was appointed P.P. of Taghmon in 1789 by Bishop Caulfield
and resided at Bricketstown. He was a native of Garryhack
(Churchtown) . In 1795 he was removed from the position by Bishop
Caulfield, seemingly because of his leanings towards the United
Irishmen. A curate, Fr. Denis Kelly performed Fr. Murphy's duties
during his suspension, aided by Denis Ryan and John Byrne, a
Horetown Carmelite. Bishop Caulfield, in a letter to Archbishop Troy
of Dublin, in September 1798, referred to Bryan Murphy in the
following derogatory terms: 'There is another reptile, Rev Bryan
Murphy, who was very active in the rebellion. He had been deprived
and suspended about three years ago. Nevertheless he had address
enough to procure a protection when the rebels were routed, and
remains undisturbed.' In the same letter the Bishop's comments on
John Byrne were no more complimentary: 'There is a Rev. Mr. Byrne,
a Carmelite, at Goff's Bridge, who shewed himself a very zealous,
active rebel. He also got a protection. He was a drinking, giddy
man. I advised him to quit the diocese and threatened suspension.'
The Bishop of course, was clearly on the conservative establishment
wing during the Insurrection and the adjective 'giddy' when used by
him in any description of his clergy usually pointed to their sympathy
with, and often involvement in, the United Irishmen.
The Loyalist backlash after the Rebellion caused Bryan Murphy to
have a nervous breakdown. One account says that the yeomen broke
into his house, beat him and left him senseless. He fled to Munster
and spent the rest of his days in Kerry as a wandering Classics teacher
and sometimes as a labourer . The mention of the word "yeomen"
invariably resulted in him become very agitated. He never came back
to Wexford and is buried in Kerry. His flight to Munster must have
taken place after March/April 1800 when the Bishop wrote to Bryan
Murphy admonishing him for resuming his priestly duties and
reminding him that he was 'absolutely and to all intents and purposes
deprived of all priestly faculties'. Denis Kelly. the acting Parish
Priest of Taghmon, had been under such pressure that he had asked
Bryan Murphy to help him in his ministry. Kelly subsequently wrote
to the Bishop explaining his position, but Dr. Caulfield refused to
relent and continued the ban on Bryan Murphy. Murphy's letter to a
Protestant clergyman friend (which begins "Reverend Sir, and worthy
friend" ) outlines his side of the story and a reading of this letter
would lead one to the conclusion that the deposed P.P. of Taghmon
was a reasonable man. In it he avows that all the accusations against
him are false. The assertion made that he gave the order for the
burning of the barn at Scullabogue is difficult to believe in light of the
letter of protection that he gave to William Fleming, a Protestant, and
a member of the Taghmon Yeoman Cavalry. The likely scenario is
that Bryan Murphy failed to gain Caulfield's permission to resume in
the diocese as a priest after his undoubted support of the rebels in the
insurrection. Being a marked man and likely to suffer the fate of
other priests who were active on the rebel side, he probably decided to
make himself scarce and went as far west as he could (to Kerry) where
he continued to preach and teach.
1800 Rev. Denis Kelly
As mentioned above he was, for a time, acting P.P. In 1801, in
Bishop Caulfield's return for the Diocese of Ferns, Taghmon was
listed as one of the poorer areas worth only £30, with one curate.
1801-1815 Rev. Thomas Doyle P.P.
He was born in 1756 and transferred to New Ross in 1815. He later
became P.P. of New Ross and died in 1830.
1815-1849 Rev. John (Canon) Scallan
He was born in Tagoat c.1778. He was uncle to Fr. Walter Lambert,
who after his ordination, served for a short time as curate in Taghmon.
Fr. Scallan was ordained in 1805 and was appointed P.P. of
Taghmon in 1815. He was responsible for building the churches of
Trinity in 1838 and Caroreigh in 1843. A marble slab was erected to
his memory in the old church, which was on the site of the present
church. It was removed during the building of the present church and
is still visible at the back of the Mortuary Chapel. In recent years it
has split in two. It was executed by Powers of New Ross. It reads as
Of your charity pray for the repose of the soul of the Reverend John
Scallan, during 34 years P.P. of Taghmon. He died May 1, 1849, in
the 71st year of his age, beloved, revered, regretted. His flock, to
whom he was endeared by his attention, by his mild yet earnest
instructions here, have erected this monument to record the virtues of
the dead and the gratitude of the living. Our Father, Hail Mary.
Canon Scallan and his curate Fr. Peter Warren (1813 - 3/9/1849),
who was a kinsman of Rev. Dr. Warren and to whom there is also a
slab erected, died from the cholera outbreak which hit the Taghmon
area very badly. Upwards of three hundred people in the parish
succumbed to the disease at this time.
1849-1866 Rev. Loftus Brennan P.P.
He was born at Forest in 1798. He went to the old seminary in
Wexford and in 1817 he entered Maynooth . Ordained in 1824 he
was appointed C.C. of Crossabeg where he remained for seven years.
He was appointed P.P. of Taghmon on 14th June 1849 by Dr. Keating
- the last such appointment before the bishop's death. Fr. Brennan
was reluctant to build a new church even though the one in use was
described as 'for a place of such importance - plain and ordinary. It
would doubtless, before this time, have been replaced by one more in
accordance with the progressive spirit of the age, but that the good
pastor felt reluctant to call upon his parishioners, who not many years
since contributed to the erection of a new church at Caroreigh, near
Camross.' Loftus Brennan is listed as living at Cloghulatagh in
1853, and also as occupying a house at Chapel St., Taghmon. It
appears, however, that he did begin the collection for the new church.
He was a stern and severe pastor and stories still circulate concerning
some of the incidents in which he was involved. The words spoken
by him on one memorable occasion are still recalled in the folk
memory of older inhabitants of the Parish. Collections for the new
church, or possibly for maintenance of the old one, had been going on
for quite some time when a wealthy parishioner died and bequeathed
£500 to the church fund. The flock heaved a collective sigh of relief
and assumed that this considerable sum would bring the figure up to
the required amount. On the following Sunday however, Fr. Brennan
took up the building fund collection as usual. The parishioners then
approached the building committee and complained. The committee,
who were in mortal fear of the parish priest, gingerly broached the
subject with him. He did not react well. The following Sunday he
delivered a stinging rebuke to the congregation. Striding, as was his
custom, back and forth across the sanctuary area and speaking loudly
over his shoulder he harangued the assembled gathering and amongst
many criticisms he uttered the following: 'It was a black day for me
when the Bishop appointed me to this outpost of civilisation. Here in
Taghmon, I am surrounded by Swords, Sides and Savages from
Tinkers Row to Hell Street, to Duffers Lane and my bones will
not lie here for the people of Taghmon to walk over.' He was as good
as his word as he is buried in the family plot in Whitechurch.
On another occasion, when he was hearing confessions, a penitent
told him something which displeased him so much that he reached out
and punched the astonished parishioner. At this, all those waiting in
line for confessions got up and left the church hurriedly! Rev. Loftus
Brennan died aged 68 on 9/1/1866
1866 - 1896 Rev. William Murphy P.P.
He was born in 1808 at Gibberpatrick, Duncormick and was
educated at St. Peter's College and Maynooth. He was ordained in
1836 and appointed curate to 'the convict priest', Fr. Dixon in
Crossabeg. Later he spent some time in Enniscorthy before returning
to Crossabeg as P.P. from c.1858 to 1866 and was then appointed to
Taghmon. On May 9th 1869 he laid the foundation stone for the
present Catholic Church on the site of the old church and the building
was completed in 1871. He was made Dean of Ferns in 1880 and
Vicar General in 1884. He died on 28/5/1896, aged 88. A slab in the
church commemorates his memory.
He was a non-political, erudite and old fashioned clergyman who
rose at 5.00 a.m. each morning and had his daily Mass finished by
6.00 a.m. During his tenure, new National Schools for boys and girls,
were built in Chapel St.
The only recorded occasion when he delivered a public speech was
in the chapel yard, Taghmon, on 13/11/1868 when a large gathering
was held for the purpose of supporting the parliamentary Liberal
candidates, Messrs Darcy and Power, in the forthcoming elections.
The big election issue was the dis-establishment of the Church of
Ireland. The opening of the meeting was signalled in spectacular
fashion by the collapse of portion of the speakers platform. Dean
Murphy was elected chairman of the meeting on the motion of Pierce
Ryan, Glynn and seconded by Mr. Kavanagh, Mulmintra.
He spent one year from Nov. 1858 to Oct. 1859 travelling the
continent of Europe.
It was Dean Murphy who composed the famous address to the poet,
Thomas Moore, on the occasion of his famous 'triumphal entry into
Bannow' in Aug. 1835, where he was the guest of Thomas Boyce.
The young Fr. Murphy was then a brilliant student in Maynooth and
composed the address at the request of Mr. Boyce and the P.P. of
Rathangan, Fr. John Barry.
1896 -1914 Rev. Patrick M. Furlong P.P.
He was born in 1844 at Ballygarra, Carne. He was educated at St.
Peter's College and Maynooth and ordained in 1868. In 1869 he was
appointed curate of Boolavogue where he became steeped in the lore of
1798. In 1871 he was curate of New Ross and very involved in the
Land League. He was the political sponsor of John E. Redmond who
entered public life as a member for New Ross.. Redmond and Fr.
Furlong remained life long friends, except for a short period when they
fell out over the Parnell crises . In 1883 he moved to Tacumshane
and in 1890 was made P.P. of Piercestown. He remained there until
1896 when he was made P.P. of Taghmon. While he was P.P. in
Piercestown he received a gift of a painting, 'Madonna' by Guido,
from Lord Maurice Fitzgerald of Johnstown Castle. Lord Maurice
was of the opinion that the painting was very valuable. On transfer to
Taghmon Canon Furlong brought this painting with him and on his
death left it to his successor in Taghmon, Canon Fortune - who had
also been attached to Piercestown. Canon Fortune decided that the
painting belonged to Piercestown Parish and on his death in 1925 it
was returned there. Fr. James Curtis, while P.P. of Piercestown in
1977 consulted Dr. James White of The National Gallery as to the
value of the painting and was informed that it was but a copy of an
Italian original and not of any great value.
Canon Furlong was a tremendous scholar and intellectual whose
Sunday sermons often went well over the heads of the congregation.
He built a substantial hall and reading room as a place of recreation
for the parishioners. This was situated on a site opposite the present
Parochial House, very near the location of the existing National
School. He got a stroke in 1911, while saying Mass in Taghmon
church and died aged 69 on 13/8/1914. His brother was the prominent
churchman Archdeacon John L. Furlong, P.P. of Gorey and Vicar
General of the Diocese.
John Redmond MP was considered to be the best orator at this time
in the House of Commons. Such was Canon Furlong's reputation as a
speaker that it was acknowledged that he was an even better speaker
John Redmond's telegram to Canon's Furlong brother, Mr. John
Furlong, Ballygarra on the occasion of the death of the Canon, read as
follows: 'Deeply grieved at the death of my old and beloved friend.
Accept deepest sympathy.'
His obituary in 'The People', in 1914 began as follows: 'Canon
Furlong is dead. All Wexford, all Ireland will mourn his loss'. It
referred to him as 'famous throughout the country.....many messages
of sympathy came from prominent sources'.
1914-1925 Rev. William Fortune P.P.
He was born in 1848 in Gaynestown, near Murrintown. He first
ministered in Kilmore and in 1876, in Enniscorthy before becoming
P.P. of Piercestown in 1896. He came to Taghmon in Sept. 1914 and
cycled to all his sick calls. He was a well known apostle of
temperance and tried very hard to eradicate social drinking in the
village. He was a friend and prominent supporter of the Irish
Parliamentary Leader, John Redmond MP
The laying of the beautiful mosaics in the sanctuary of the Catholic
Church in Taghmon were initiated under Canon Fortune's guidance.
On the day of his funeral 'blinds were drawn on all houses in
Taghmon and all business were closed and fully shuttered' . During
the War Of Independence and The Civil War his sympathies did not
lie with the Republicans.
Nov. 1925 Rev. Paul Kehoe
He was stationed in Cloughbawn when appointed P.P. of Taghmon,
on 3rd Nov. 1925. However, he did not accept the appointment and
resigned on 8 Nov. 1925 in order to remain in Cloughbawn.
1925-1956 Rev. Thomas Scallan P. P.
He was born in Ballyvalloo, Blackwater, in 1875 and was the son of
Nicholas and Anastasia Scallan of Ballyneskar. He was ordained in
Maynooth in 1899. His brother Richard Scallan was a member of
Wexford County Council and other public bodies. He served as C.C.
in Ballymitty, Askamore and Cleariestown before becoming P.P. of
Taghmon in 1925. He built the Mortuary Chapel and the Priest's
Cemetery, replaced the old wooden alter rails with a marble structure
and placed a statue of Our Lady over the alcove at the church entrance.
He also laid out a new entrance and lawn at the parochial residence.
He organised the building of the new National School, in Chapel St.,
opposite the old school and bought the land for the New Cemetery,
which was consecrated in 1938
Canon Scallan wore a grey beard and was very fond of cats. He
kept a large number in his house in Taghmon. A story is told about
the Canon during his time in Taghmon. One day he met a young
member of the travelling community who was beating a tin can at the
side of the road. Canon Scallan addressed the young man. 'Can you
say the Hail Mary?' The young man looked up at the priest and
answered, 'Can you bottom a can, Father?' The priest answered that
he could not and the young man said, 'Well, that's it - every man to
his job. You pray, and I'll bottom the can.'
Canon Scallan resigned due to old age, in 1953, and died in
Ballyneskar, in 1956.
Canon Thomas Scallan P.P. Taghmon
1953 - 1956 Rev Michael Byrne ADM
He was never P.P. of Taghmon but was appointed ADM during
Canon Scallan's final illness. He had great success on the GAA front
and brought all the parish teams together. Under Fr. Byrne's guidance
St. Munns won County Wexford senior football titles. He also
responsible for a major renovation to the priest house.
1956-1966 Rev. Martin Murphy
He was born in 1889 at Ballygullick, Tomhaggard and was
ordained, at Maynooth, in 1915. He served as C.C. in Bree until 1921
and then spent 29 years as C.C. in Cloughbawn, before becoming P.P.
Taghmon in 1956. For many years he attended sick calls on
1966-1972 Rev. James Murphy
He was born in 1911 at South Main St., Wexford, and was educated
at Wexford CBS and St. Peter's College. He was ordained in 1934 and
spent four years studying in Rome. He served for one year at Kilcock,
Co. Kildare and in 1935 he was assigned to Oylegate and Monageer.
He became C.C. of Askamore in 1936 and then spent five years in
Enniscorthy. He was then appointed C.C. of Caroreigh, where he
remained for nineteen years. In 1966 he became P.P. of Taghmon.
He resigned in 1972 and died on 2/1/1979. He was a man of
intellectual and scholastic attainment. He was very involved in
amateur dramatics and encouraged this activity with great success in
Caroreigh and Taghmon. A keen violinist, his hobbies were music,
radio (he built his own), photography and woodwork. During his
ministry a new roof was constructed on the Catholic Church and the
altar area was redesigned.
1972 -1984 Rev. Henry Williams P.P.
He was born in Forrestalstown, Clonroche in 1916 and educated at
St. Peter's College where he was ordained in 1942. He went on loan
to the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin for one year and was then
appointed C.C. in Gusserane. He became the longest serving curate in
that parish's history before being appointed as C.C. of Caroreigh and
subsequently as P.P. of Taghmon. The population of the village, after
many years of decline, began to show an increase, during Fr.
Williams's time, as a result of new housing schemes and returning
emigrants. He was a good organiser and added a major extension to
the National School.
1984 - to date. Rev. Thomas McCormack.
He was ordained in 1958 and was C.C. in New Ross for eighteen
years. He then ministered for eight years, as C.C., in Ferns. He
expanded the National School by four more rooms.
He is a keen sportsman. As well as being a low handicap golfer he has
successfully completed the London and Dublin marathons on many
CATHOLIC CURATES OF TAGHMON PARISH
The following list represents those who were curates in the parish
whether the appointments were as C.C. of Taghmon, Trinity or
1760-1770 Rev. Myles Murphy was C.C. He is buried in Trinity.
1787 Rev. Matthew Byrne may have been C.C. in Taghmon
1817- 1838 Rev. Thomas Stafford. He was native of Ballygrangans
and afterwards became P.P. of Ballygarrett and then Castlebridge. He
was involved in the building of the church at Trinity.
1838 - 1849 Fr. Peter Warren. (see above) He was born in 1813 and
ordained in 1938. Appointed C.C. of Taghmon he was very active in
fighting for better conditions for the destitute of the area but he
succumbed to the cholera outbreak and died on 3/9/1849.
1841- 1843 Rev. Denis Kenny. He was later C.C. in Wexford.
Rev. Philip Devereux served for some time as curate. He was later
P.P. of Bree.
1843-1848 Rev. Jeremiah Hogan is listed as RC Curate of
1848 -1851 Rev. Walter Lambert was C.C. of Taghmon. He was a
nephew of Fr. Scallan P.P. (see above). He was ordained in 1847 and
later joined the Redemptorist Order.
1849-1853 Rev. John Kirwan. He later became C.C. of Kilmore.
1851-1858 Andrew Kehoe He became C.C. of Hook in Sept. 1858.
1853 James Lyng He was later appointed administrator of
Templetown and Poulfur.
1858-1862 Rev. Thomas Doyle. He was born in Tombrick, Bunclody
in 1817. He ministered as C.C. in Caroreigh for four years before
being appointed administrator of Ramsgrange and Duncannon in May
1862. This was Fr. Tom Doyle the "Land League Priest". He became
very famous as a land agitator and political firebrand during the latter
part of the nineteenth century.
1862-1872 Rev. Loughlin Druhan. He was made P.P. of Tomacork
in Oct. 1872.
1867-1871 Rev. Walter Barry. He was appointed C.C. in
Enniscorthy in Feb. 1871.
1871-1873 Rev. John Doyle. Went to St. Peter's College in Aug.
1873 Rev. Matthew J. Sinnott. A native of Ardcavan, he was
appointed P.P. of Piercestown in Sept. 1884.
1872-1875 Rev. Thomas Cloney. He was made P.P. of Tagoat in
1875-1876 Rev. Michael Keating. Went as C.C.to Kilmore in 1876.
1876-1879 Rev. Thomas O'Connor. Transferred to Wexford in Sept.
1877-1899 Rev. James Walsh. Became P.P. Oylegate in Mar. 1899.
1884 -1896 Rev. William Keogh. He was transferred to Ballymitty as
C.C. in Mar. 1896.
1896-1900 Rev. John Howell. He was transferred to Craanford in
1899-1924 Rev. John Murphy. He was made P.P. of Ballymurn in
1900 Rev. Peter Somers. He retired through ill health.
1900-1903 Rev. Patrick Sinnott. He was ordained in St. Peter's
College in 1898 and transferred to Suttons in 1903.
1896 Rev. Thomas M O'Ryan was listed as C.C. Taghmon.
1903-1904 Rev. David Hore. Transferred to Kiltealy in May 1904.
1904-1908 Rev. Martin Murphy. Transferred to Crossabeg in 1908.
1908 Rev. James Gaul.
1916-1922 Rev. Michael Murphy. Transferred to Tinahely in Aug.
1922-1923 Rev. Patrick Walsh. He resigned through illness on 7
Sept. 1923 and died 21 June 1927. Despite being ill with TB he
attended the condemned republican prisoners (together with Fr.
Wickham C.C. Wexford) Jim Parle, John Creane and Pat Hogan before
their execution on 13 March 1923. He walked to the place of
execution between Parle and Creane, holding the hand of each. He left
a moving account of the events of that fateful day which records the
last conversations of those brave young men as they went to face the
firing squad . Bill Parle of Clover Valley, brother of Jim, records
that Fr. Walsh offered to exchange his clothes with Jim to allow him to
escape. Jim Parle refused the offer.
1923-1932 Rev. Patrick Browne. Transferred to Barntown on 16th
1924-1931 Rev. William J. Harpur. Appointed P.P. Kilrush in Feb.
1931-1948 Rev. John J. Kelly. Appointed P.P. Tomacork in Sept.
1932-1940 Rev. Patrick Kehoe. Transferred to Riverchapel in Mar.
1940 Rev. John Doran. Transferred to New Ross in July 1940.
1940-1953 Rev. Jeremiah Anglim. He took a great interest in the
youth of the area, starting 'The Taghmon Boys Club' and organising a
dramatic society and pageants. He was transferred to Davidstown in
Nov. 1953. Later became P.P. Carrig-on-Bannow.
1948-1966 Rev. James Murphy. Appointed P.P. Taghmon on Nov.
1953-1956 Rev. Michael Byrne. He was appointed ADM, Taghmon,
1953-1957 Rev. Patrick Kelly. Returned to Limerick in July 1957.
1957-1967 Rev. Patrick Jordan. Appointed Bursar, St. Peter's
College in August 1967. Later became P.P. of Ballycullane.
1966-1972 Rev. Henry Williams. Appointed P.P.Taghmon 12 June
1967-1972 Rev. Philip Egan. Transferred to Westminster in 1972.
Later he was C.C. in Clongeen and Cleariestown.
1972-1977 Rev. John P. Nolan. Transferred to Monaseed in 1977.
1977-1982 Rev. Michael O 'Rourke. Went on loan to Birmingham
1982-1983 Rev. Kevin Cahill. Went to Maynooth to continue studies
1983 -to date. Rev. Martin Casey.
Canon John Gorey
Fr. Martin Casey, C.C. Caroreigh
Fr. Tom McCormick, P.P. Taghmon
Diocesan Archives, Summerhill, Wexford.
- 'Celibacy in The Catholic Church - a brief history' by Thomas O'Loughlin in
'History Ireland' vol.3 no. 4.
- 'St. Vauk of Carne' by John P. Dalton, M.R.I.A. in The Past no.2 p.23
- The date on this tomb is now indicipherable. Richard Roche has his death at
1616. See 'The Story of Harperstown' by Richard Roche in this journal.
- There is an article about this family in 'The People' 27/11/1909
- History of The Diocese of Ferns - Grattan Flood
- The Past . No. 9 page 77 Article by Mons. P. Corish
- 'The Catholic Priest in the 1798 Rebellion'by Kevin Whelan in Wexford
History and Society. p.539 Note 128.
- From a paper in the possesion of the author which was wrtten on 27/7/1965
by Micheal Mac Eochaidh, Life-member of Royal Society of Antiquaries.
- Insurrection of 1798 by P.F.Kavanagh.
- Memoirs of The Irish Rebellion of 1798 by Sir Richard Musgrave.
- Maynooth Students and Ordinations Index 1795-1895 by Patrick J. Hamell
- Canon John Gahan of Gorey
- Sights and Scenes in our Fatherland by Thomas Lacy 1863
- Griffiths Valuations for the County of Wexford
- These were decent local families whose descendants still live in the village.
- Now known as Cottage Row at the Wexford Road entrance to the village
- Now Hill Street
- This is Dudley's Lane - now known as Chapel Lane. A tramps home was
situated here. The last person to run it was Maria Hayes.
- This story was told to the author by the late Fr. T. Rossiter of Ballingale
who also told me that his great-grand uncle, James Pierce of Ballingale, had
an arguement with Fr. Loftus Brennan which ended with him being thrown
from the organ gallery down into the body of the church by the pastor!
- The People June 1896
- The New Ross Standard 21/8/1914
- By Bishop's Rath and Norman fort - The Story of Piercestown -
Murrintown. Page 160/161
- The People Nov 1925
- I am indebted to Mrs. Eithne Scallan of Wexford for this story which comes
from the great folklorist, Mrs. Maure Roche of Screen.
- See 'Grattan Flood's History of the Diocese of Ferns' p164
- Slater's Directory of 1846
- For more about Fr. Tom see "Father Tom - the Land League Priest" by
Seamus S. De Val in "The Past" No.12.
- See 'Republican Wexford Remembers 1922-1923' by Seamus Mac Suain -