There are 73 townlands ranging in size from Camross, at 1388 acres, (561 Ha) to Knocknamarshall at 23 acres (9.3 Ha).
In 1853, Griffiths Valuation was completed and its purpose was to apply rates to finance the relief of the poor. All property over a rateable value of five shillings (25p) was included and the names were published in books which can be inspected in the Wexford County Library.
The purpose of this article is to trace the present owners of the various properties, some of which are still in the same name and the resulting lists can become a valuable source of family history.
It would be impossible to trace the entire list as many of the enormous number of small holdings that existed in 1853 have been absorbed into much larger holdings. Where a larger holding has now more than one owner, the owner of the portion which includes the original house will be named. There were not too many of these, as the vast majority were less than 100 acres (40.5 Ha) and in most cases less than 20 acres (8.1 Ha)
The following is the list of townlands in alphabetical order with the area to the nearest hectare. The translation of the Irish names are given where they apply.
|TOWNLAND||MEANING||H/A||OCCUPIER - GRIFFITH'S VAL.||OCCUPIER - AT PRESENT|
There is a castle marked on the Ordnance Survey Map
|Ard-eanach (High Marsh)||112||Pat. Flynn; Moses Walsh; Adam O'Neill; S.Jeffares; Ellen Cullen; Jas. Doyle; Thos. Doyle; Mary Mellea; Thos. & David Walsh; Michael Donnelly;||J.Morrissey; John White; J.Doyle; Larry O'Connor; Pat Murphy; R.Cleary;|
|ARDINAGH LITTLE |
There was a total of 29 houses in this townland in 1853, very few of which survive. There are also the ruins of a small church and a blessed well Tobar Shibaun. The Mangan family who are mentioned here are ancestors of John Mangan,(b.1872 at Blastknock) World Champion Weight Thrower. The family moved to Kilmuckridge.
|132||W.Cody; John Donnelly; Jas. & Luke Cody; Pat Furlong; T & E. Redmond; P. & M. Donnelly; J.Kehoe; W.Donnelly; T.Walsh; M.Lacey; T.Hill; J.Williams; N.Kehoe; P.Mangan; Mary Carty; W.Connors; M.Purcell; M.Martin; J.Furlong; M. Carroll; J..Connors;||G.McGee; P.McGee; Ollie Stenning; J.Morrissey; P.Williams; Rep. Martin Crosbie; P.Donnelly|
(St. Munna's Field)
|132||Nicholas Furlong; Pat Doyle; Peter Doyle; Jas. Forrestal; Mary Doyle.||Pat Breen; J.Wallace; Whites;|
(The Long Field)
|176||Catherine Doyle; James Kehoe; Nicholas Sinnott; Walter Hore; I.& R. Whelan; M. Kearns; M. Walsh; S. Miscal; P. Duigan; M.French;||Wally Kehoe; Nicholas Sinnott; George Redmond; Charltons;|
The Codds have lived here for over 200 years. During the 'troubles' a Free State soldier died at the bridge in an ambush.
|Ath na gCeann|
(Ford of The Heads)
|55||Lar. Hayes; Pat Stafford; John Codd; John Doyle;||W.Kehoe; M.Stafford; Ed.Codd;|
|BALLINTARTAN||Baile an Tuartain |
(Place of The Knoll)
|42||Nich. Codd;Trevor Hawkshaw; John Brennan;||N.Winters; M.Dunne;|
The Sparrow family were members of the Quaker Community who owned a lot of land around Taghmon.
|Baile an tSleibhe|
(Place of the Mountains)
|113||Thos. Breen; Mgt. & Cath. Hore; Robert Sparrow; Rev. John Harley.||Fintan Goff; Rep. Tom Stafford; John Goff;|
(Little Townland of Sliabh Bhui)
|40||Nich. Murphy; Thos. Murphy. Tom Carty; Jas. Foley; P.Nolan; B.Doyle;|
|64||Denis Hanlon; Matthew Fanning.||G.Rynehart; Con Donnelly;|
|89||Redmonds; Moses Connors; Jas. Sinnott; Geo. Redmond;||McGraths; John O'Connor; Reps. Mullins;|
Ballynagale was, for many years, the home of the Rossiter family of clerical and sporting connections
|Baile na gCailleach|
(Town of Old Women)
|107||P. Kelly; J.Pierce; M.Evoy; P.Murphy;||Rep. Canon Brandon; H.Phipps; Charltons;|
Trinity Church stands in this townland. There are also traces of a castle built by the Hores.
|83||Pat. Hamilton; John Hamilton; Pat Conor; Lar. White; Peter Kehoe.||B.Hamilton; J.Codd; M.Stafford;|
|BLASTKNOCK||Cnoc Na Gaoithe|
|91||Walter Whitty; Martin Walsh; John Donnelly; Francis Davis; Pat Murphy; John Walsh||Martin Whitty; Staffords; Eustaces; Charltons;|
Bricketstown House is one of the few large houses in the parish - partly built in the mid 1600's by the Stannards.
|208||J. Murphy; L.Furlong; J.Purcell; T.Busher; J.Kehoe; J.Furlong; M.Murphy; J.Fanning; J. Kehoe; S. Kavanagh; S.Kenrick; J.Doyle; J.Stannard||Kellys; Nolans; C.Donnelly; P.Doyle; P.Banville; J.Reilly; E.McGee;|
Fortune's woollen mills thrived in this area for many years. There is also a castle here built by the Brownes
|100||Johanna Fortune; J. Doyle; E. Brennan.||J.Murphy;Sam Simmons;|
Camaross, usually pronounced Camross is the largest townland in the parish. In1853, there were 87 houses and a huge amount of small holdings. One would need a long time to sort them all, so quite a few had to be left out. It is recorded in the Book of Leinster that inthe 3rd century Breasal Belach, the King of Leinster, wished for the help of Finn-Mac-Cool and his warriors to defend his countrymen against Monarch Caoibre, whose army was marching into Leinster to levy the Borumean Tribute. Finn's warriors, with those of the King of Leinster, defeated the Monarch's forces amounting to 20,000, of whom 9,000 were slain at a place called Chambros, now Camross, two and a half miles from Taghmon
|562||J. Jackman; M. Kehoe; T.Bradley; P.Egan; J.Browne: P.Lannon; P.Kehoe; W.Fitzhenry; M.Doyle; O.Caulfield; P. Cotteral; J.Power; L.Hynes; W.Bowles; M. & P. Broadhurst; P.Jordan;M.Carty; Tom Morrissey; J.Carroll; D.& E. Byrne; M.Mevoy; M. Wicken; M.Kavanagh; N. Cullen; B.Murphy; J.Reilly; M.Kearney; J.Cormack; J. Kiely; M.Gorman; R.Somers;||J.Connors; Delaneys; J.Furlong; P.Delaney; P.English; J.Kent; T.Foley; M.Doyle; D.Nolan; J.Deacon; M.Jordan; M.Colfer; Dan Morrissey; O'Gormans; M.O'Gorman; Denis Nolan; J.Doyle; T.Foley; Nolan & Foley; Nolans; S.Kavanagh; D.Nolan; P.O'Gorman|
|CARROWREAGH||An Cheathru Riabhach|
(The Striped Quarter)
|89||John Gorman; T. Morgan; P.Gorman; Jas. Gorman; J & P. Rea; P. & J. Redmond; W.Flood; John Doyle;||P.O'Gorman; Cadogans; T.Hannon;|
There was a castle here and also a blessed well.
|180||M. McDonnell; T.Roche; J.Greene; R.Dalton; M.Wickham; D.Kavanagh; J.Callaghan; A. & N.Murphy; W.Brien; R.Sullivan; J.Morrissey; R.Dalton; Kings; J.Parle;||E.Nolan; R.Greene; A.Kelly; D.Doyle; P.Callaghan; J.Parle; T.Foley;|
The rest of this townland forms part of the village of Taghmon, including the present RC Parish Church
(The Sleepy Stone)
|110||F. Wright; T.Donnelly; J. Byrne; P.Roche; C.Waddy; O & N O'Connor; T.Stafford; J.Brown; N.Furlong; A.Roche; C.Waddy; J.Jackman; P.Parle; S.Prendergast; Rev. Loftus Brennan;||P.Murphy; M.Banville; Reps M.Jones; Tom O'Donnell; Mrs.McDonald; R.C.Church|
Thomas Brennan, mentioned here, built the house known as 'Clover Valley'. It is now occupied by the Parle Family and is probably the largest house in the parish. Part of the townland is incorporated in the village of Taghmon.
(Meadow of the Little Rath)
|158||J. Coghlan; J.Crean; T.Roche; R.Ward; J.Reilly; W.Crean;P.Byrne; M.Kavanagh; M. O Connor; R.Byrne; M.Cahill; T. Brennan; W.Whitty; M.Morris;T.Bolger;||Reps M.Foley Jim Whitty; Reps Bob Ward; Creanes; O'Grady; Kellys; J.Hornick; Parles; T. O'Donnell;|
Matty Parle was a famous horse breeder and won many major prizes at horse shows, including the RDS, Dublin.
|Cuil an Sagairt|
(The Priest's Corner)
|67||N. Parle; J.Redmond; J.Parle; S.Howlin;||W.Whitty; Parles; Keatings;|
In the seventeen hundreds a large linen industry flourished, employing 170. A small cemetery of the Batt family who were landlords of the area, is also here.
(Back of the Ford)
|121||Rich. Reville; John Rositer; D.Ryan; J.Bolger; A.Deveruex; B.Murphy; T.Stafford; B.Redmond; Dr. Denis O'Connor;||D.Devereux; Nolans; J.Codd; LConnors; S.Clancy;|
|COOLCULL BIG||Cul Coll|
(Hill - back of The Hazels)
|93||Ml McEvoy; P.Flynn; T.Quirke; P.Howlin; T.Walsh; R.Murphy; W.Donnelly; B.Roche; Moses Monaghan;||O'Connors; L.Morrissey; M.Whitty; P.Murphy; Walshs;|
|COOLCULL MOYLERS||53||T Walsh; J.Wickham; E.Kelly; M Kehoe||Walshs; N.Murphy;|
|COOLCULL SHEAS||48||T Walsh; J.Wickham;||Walshs; N.Murphy;|
(The Hill back of Little Ring Fort)
|134||R Reville; J.Donnelly; J.Stafford; M.Walsh; G.Parle; H.Corish; P. & E. Roche; P.Whelan;||J.Curtis; Sullivans; J.Doran; O'Connors; M.Banville;|
As already mentioned Coolsltuff was once a separate Parish and there is a ruined church and graveyard there.(see article by H. Murphy in this journal)
|62||J. Doyle; W. Murphy; Rev. Geo. Richards; A.Ronayne||M.Dunne; Nevilles;|
|46||John Furlong; J & T Walsh; J Whelan||T.Simmons; T.Walsh;|
This was once part of the Tottenham estate and was divided up by the Land Commission. The Church of Ireland Rectory was sold recently.
|53||E.Cummins; M & P Roche; N.Sinnott; J.F.Heatly; Lydia Goff;||Cannot be traced|
There is a trace of a castle here.
|175||Ed. Brennan; M.Redmond; W.Furlong; J.Doyle; D.Doyle; M.Leary; P.Lannon; M.Carty; T.Kennedy; P.Brennan; Moses Fardy; J.Cullen;||J.Rigley; M.Curran; Kellys; F.Doyle; P.Codd; P.Doyle; Denis Nolan; Reps. McDonald;|
There is a site of a castle here.
|56||Ed. & John Doyle; Mary, Cath. Walter Breen;Pat. Murphy; Stephen Roche; John Stanners; Luke Furlong||David Killeen|
|DURRA LITTLE||35||James & Ml. Stafford; Lar. White; John Roche; Mary Quey.||Ml.Stafford;|
Forest gets its name from what was known as The Great Forest of Taghmon, which stretched form Ballingly, near Wellingtonbridge, to Carrick, near Wexford. town. There was also a Meeting House and graveyard of the Society of Friends here. Much of the timber from Forest was used in the ship building industry in Bristol.
|92||E. Brennan; S. Prendergast; M.Cullen; J.Carty; T.Porte;J.Ennis; J.Doyle; P.Carroll; T.White; G.Cullimore; J.Sides;||Hornicks; Staffords; A.O'Gorman; S.Whitney; N.Winters; Crane & Simmons; G.Rynehart;|
|FURLONGSTOWN||113||P. Furlong; Ed. Murphy; J.Coll; J. Cottom; Mary Fitzpatrick;||N.Winters; D.Power; Nevilles; M.Dunne;|
|GARRADREEN||Garrai an Draighin
(The Garden of The Blackthorn)
|66||J. Richards; T.Brennan; W. Breen; D.Doyle; M.Fenlon||Nevilles; Goffs; J.O'Connor;|
Jacob Poole was born here in 1774 to a Quaker family. He spent many years studying the customs and the old Yolalanguage of the Baronies of Forth and Bargy. He was responsible for many good works. He died in 1827 and is buried in the Quaker graveyard in Forest. 'Poole's Glossary' was produced in 1979 and edited by T.P.Dolan and Diarmaid O Muirithe
|94||Myles Leary; Mary Poole; G.Coll; M.Furlong; J.Ryan; T.Breen;W.Murphy; T. Lambert; J.Breen;||Grennans; Nevilles; Crowleys; O'Gormans;|
|GROWTOWN UPPER||136||T. Chandler; Sheppard Jeffers; Wm. Sparrow; Thos.Brennan; Ed. Radwell; J.Murray; W.Whelan; J.Furlong;||Crowleys; Doyles; Mooneys; Vincent Murphy;|
|HARPERSTOWN||151||M. Corish; B. Lane; W.Connors; Walter Hore;||W.Murphy; Bill Lane; M.Stafford; Roches;|
|HARRISTOWN LITTLE||112||John Furlong; John Doyle; Arthur Martin;||C.Donnelly; J.Murphy; R.Whitney;|
My sincere thanks is due to everyone who helped in any way in the carrying out of
Mr. Bell, Rates Office, Wexford County Hall.
Valuation Office, Ely Place, Dublin.