Reviving and Fostering Gaelic Games (1886-1915)

Paddy O'Reilly


In County Wexford the combined effects of 1798 and the Great Famine of the 1840's caused the Irish games of hurling, football and handball to go into decline . A newspaper article in 1901 indicated that the last inter parish hurling match was played on the North Slob in 1863 . Football was not mentioned and the article went on to state that although handball nearly died out after the famine there had been a mini revival of the game in the Bridgetown area around 1886.

Reviving and promoting these ancient games was the primary objective of the Gaelic Athletic Association and in October 1884, its founder Michael Cusack called on the people of Ireland to 'Take the management of athletics into their own hands and to promote every form of athletics that was peculiarly Irish'.

This article seeks to shed light on the people of Taghmon parish who responded to Cusack's appeal. It charts in chronological order the initiatives and events that gave root to a movement that changed the sporting and social life of the parish and enriched many lives. As well as looking at efforts to revive and promote Irish games in the parish from 1886 - 1915, the article seeks to provide an overview of the sporting environment in which these attempts occurred.


The revival and promotion of these ancient games didn't occur in a vacuum, but coexisted with and drew from, not only the wide range of sporting pastimes being pursued in the parish, but also the athletic qualities and organisational expertise that went with them. Before Cusack's intervention and indeed throughout the period under review the following pastimes occupied the attentions of parishioners.

Track and field meetings were held regularly in Deacon's Sports field at Camross and at various locations at Taghmon including a field now owned by Mrs Mary McDonald at Cloughultagh. The 1902 athletic meeting at Camross was one of the first in the county to be held under G.A.A. rules and three years later Mr Gregory Walsh D.C. presided at a meeting for the purpose of organising Gaelic Sports at Taghmon.

Jack McCarty Fitzgerald and Rob Brereton, two well-known athletes were presented with gold medals on Christmas morning 1909 in recognition of their athletic achievements. C.J.Pigott well known in Wexford athletics and from Taghmon kept the flag flying in South Africa, winning the high jump and the 220 yards at an Army athletics meeting there.

Cycling clubs existed in Taghmon and Camross and both held regular outings and annual sports. In 1893 a man called Conboy, known as the 'Taghmon crack' left the village at 4 o'clock one morning on a '93 Roadster' and rode through Athy, Tullamore and Moate, arriving at his destination in Co. Galway, 160 miles away.

Boxing was hugely popular for a while and in 1910 over 200 people paid into M. Brown's loft to witness a boxing match between 'Sandy' Cullen, Taghmon and Jem Roche, Tottenhamgreen. Other local exponents of the art included Paddy Condon and Jack McCoy. Both stag and fox hunting were pursued and each year the Marquis of Connyngham's hounds hunted the otter.

Greyhound coursing meetings for the Forest, Taghmon and Racecourse Stakes were held at Greg Walsh's or at Rossitters of Coolaw and in the same fields terriers raced for the Taghmon, Brownscastle, Horetown and Poulmarle plates.

For a period the Taghmon Horse Race meeting was the most prestigious in the county. This annual event which was held in the Horseparks, or at Hillburn on the property now owned by Boyd's, included races for the Brownscastle Cup, Standhouse Plate, District Plate, Ladies Plate, Taghmon Plate, Trinity Abbey Cup and Staghunters Plate.

The most popular sport however, was cricket and the game was played at Rossitters of Coolaw, Kavanagh's of Mulmintra, Moore's of Old Boley, The Old Racecourse and at Parle's of Coolateggart.


The first of the ancient games to be revived in the parish was football. In the Autumn of 1886, Mr J.T Murphy, an Inland Revenue officer and known locally as 'Gauger' formed the first team. He took this team on six consecutive Sundays to play in Kilmannon. One of these Sundays activities was recalled in 1950 by Daniel McEvoy of Yoletown, who described how 'Taghmon beat themselves by tasting well but not wisely of the many good things that were loaded into the wagonettes and cars in the field'. Murphy's historic team, who incidentally walked to these matches in Kilmannon was: J.T. Murphy (Captain), Phil Roche (Blastknock), George Cleary (Sigginshaggard), Nick Sinnott (Aughfad), Dick Cogley (Taghmon), Jem Cogley (Taghmon), Val Whitty (Tottenhamgreen), Dan Kavanagh (Hayestown), Phil Lennon (Dungeer), Mike Heffernan (Hayestown), Watty Fitzhenry (Murrintown), Jack Fanning (Ballyhenigan), Pat Furlong (Taghmon), Markey Brown (Taghmon), Eddie Brennan (Taghmon), Mogue Condon (Taghmon), Addy Monaghan (Taghmon), Johnny Monaghan (Taghmon), Peter Crean (Glenour), Jack Sullivan (Poulpeasty) and Dan McEvoy (Yolegrove/Sigginshaggard).

A ballad was composed to commemorate the occasion and some of the verses went as follows:-

Last Sunday when first Mass was over,
The sun from the heavens shone down,
On the road I met bold Simon Larkin
And he going to sweet Murrintown.

Says he do you think can we make it,
Or will we be in time for the fun,
For this is the day of the contest
Between the Kilmannon boys and Taghmon

Taghmon were admired by the people,
Their colours near eclipsed the sun,
'I fear its all over', says Simon,
For these are fine boys from Taghmon.

Tom Connors he upset Big Condon
Nick Sinnott lay flat on the plain,
Young Doyle he disabled the Champion,
And Simpson 'laid out' Peter Creane.

James Power he went for the Captain,
Dan Kavanagh began to complain,
Markey he then lost his protectors,
And Fitzharris went top over tail.

Says Simon I'll make a conclusion
I never did witness such fun,
But we can't represent our own county,
'Till we 'scratch out' these lads from Taghmon.

In 1887, with seven new faces, Taghmon went back to Kilmannon to play in a tournament organised to help pick a team to represent the county in the All Ireland Championships. Taghmon, who were beaten by Kilmannon, wore black and gold jerseys with a green harp and shamrock. They lined out as follows: T.J. Murphy, Phil Roche, N. Whitty, N. Sinnott, J. Sinnott, P. Furlong, D. Kavanagh, J. Condon, D. McElroy, N. Murphy, A. Monaghan, J. Monaghan, T. Kearns, R. Corish, P. Corish, E. Brennan, W. Fitzhenry, P. Crean, J. Fanning, N. Brown and V. Whitty.

Due to the 'American Invasion' of 1888, it was decided not to have any competition. In 1890 however, the progress the new game had made in the parish was demonstrated when two teams, Taghmon FBC and Taghmon Shamrocks entered for the championships. In January 1890, the following team was listed in the People Newspaper to play Ballyhogue the following week: J. Moore, J. Murphy, J. Murphy, A. Pigott, E. Larkin, J. Morrissey, K. Redmond, M. Ryan, J. Fanning, D. Kelly, J. Heffernan, J. Walsh. J. Lawlor, P. Jordan, J. Hayes, G. Heffernan, A. Furlong, E.Gorman, P. Lennon, J. Murphy. For some reason Taghmon FBC failed to fulfil this fixture. However, in March the team travelled to St. Margaret's in Carne to play Lady's Island. In the first ever newspaper account of a match involving a Taghmon team, the People correspondent remarked

When the teams lined up it was plain to the crowd that Taghmon were the heavier men, but before the game was long in progress it was easy to see that they could not keep up with their more agile opponents.

It seems that the Taghmon backs couldn't cope with the rushes of the Island forwards and lost heavily 2-8 to 0-4.

Taghmon Shamrocks were drawn to play against Oulart, also in March. There is no account of this game however, and we have to wait until 1898 before a Taghmon team features in either championship or tournament again. There is no explanation for this fall off. Perhaps the game was discouraged by people of influence in the parish, or maybe it lost its appeal because in many quarters it was considered rough, dangerous and lacking in science.


Cricket, Gaelic football's main competitor continued to flourish in the parish. The game was considered to be, not only more scientific than football, but of greater social acceptability at the time, as it was untainted by the odious association with drink, which had attached itself to football.

Taghmon Cricket Club under the captaincy of N.J. Corish practised every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings as well as Sunday afternoons during the season. Wm. Keating and W. Bennett acted as treasurer and secretary respectively and prominent members included M. Kelly, F. Fitzgerald, J.Fortune, R. Ward, J. Kendrick and C.L. Pigott.

In 1896, a new club with membership confined to the village was formed with Thos. Fitzpatrick as Captain, Treasurer Patrick Whelan and Secretary Wm. Keating. Committee comprised R. Ward, A. Furlong, P. Byrne, F. Pigott and J. Walsh.

In Old Boley, Tomcoole Cricket Club was no less active. Under the captaincy of James Moore they played regularly against teams from all over the county. Ed. Larkin acted as Sec. and treas. of the club, while Ed. Brennan, John Whitney, Walter Boggan, Walter Fitzhenry and J. McLoughlin joined him at the crease.


Paradoxically, it was during this period of inactivity in football circles that the player considered by many to be the best in Ireland at the time emerged. Although born in the Argentine, James Moore of Old Boley was the first player from the parish to gain a place on a county team, and played on the victorious Croke Cup team of 1899. He went on to captain the county team on many occasions, often helping with its selection. On the occasion of his return to the Argentine in early 1909, the correspondent in the Foulksmills and Taghmon notes wrote the following tribute.

Mr J. Moore prior to his departure for the Argentine, recently disposed of his farm at Old Boley for a goodly sum. Mr. Moore, who endeared himself to all by his genial and gentlemanly qualities, made hosts of friends throughout the Co. Wexford and all will learn with regret of his intended departure. Mr Moore, who is a South American born is now more Irish than American. He is a champion gaelic footballer and a thorough going sports man in every respect and for this reason his brother Gaels with whom he waged many a hard fought battle on football fields will feel an added pang of regret at his departure from their midst.

In January 1916, a letter from Moore congratulating the All Ireland winning team of 1915 appeared in the Free Press.

Another footballer from the parish to represent his County around the turn of the century was Arthur Pigott, son of local Dispensary Doctor, John C Pigott. Arthur lined out with brothers John and Edward on several Taghmon teams.


There appeared to have been a huge revival of interest in football around the end of the century; probably due in part to the celebrations associated with the anniversary of 1798 and the increase in fervour for all things Gaelic. In 1899, the parish boasted four football teams, and contemporary press reports give interesting insights into their activities. In February, at Mulmintra, Moore, Cullen and Murphy starred when a team called the 'Taghmon Fear Nots' took on Forth & Bargy Heroes (Mayglass).

In March, Taghmon FBC beat Mulgannon Harriers in the '98 Championship, but made their exit in May to the Young Irelands on a score of 1-13 to 0-3. The following team played against Mulgannon: A.Pigott (captain), J. Hamilton, J. Redmond, J. Faney, J. Pigott, N. Larkin, J. Murphy, S. Cullen, M.Ryan J. McDaniel and J.Murphy J. Hayes, M.Donohoe and M.Walsh.

In August at Poulmarle, a dispute arose during a match between Taghmon Shamrocks and Tullicanna. Tullicanna players claimed that a ball had crossed the sideline but when Morgan of Tullicanna, (linesman) supported the Shamrocks claim that the ball was not out his team refused to continue and left the field. The Shamrocks appeared to have been a very disciplined team and subsequent games against Campile and Raheen 'were marked by good feeling between the players'. Late in the year one of the above teams played Caroreigh. Regretfully, there is no report of this game.

The Shamrocks came to the fore in 1900, reaching the 3rd round of the championship before losing in March to Lady's island on a score of 1-6 to 0-2. County men Moore and Pigott starred in this game.


During the years 1901-1902 the centre of activity switched to Caroreigh, who in very controversial circumstances reached the County semi-final under the captaincy of J. Murphy, In June 1901, Ballyhogue played them under protest in the first round at Wexford Park. claiming that Caroreigh had so many Wexford town men in their ranks that they were in contravention of G.A.A. rules by 'playing on home ground'. In that match, Ballyhogue led by 1-9 to 0-1 at half time. In the second half however, Caroreigh piled on point after point until they got to within one point of their rivals. At this stage a Ballyhogue player claimed that he had been struck by an opponent. The referee insisted that he hadn't seen the occurrence and could not act on the word of a player. Ballyhogue reacted to this by retiring from the field and they refused to continue. J. Murphy (captain), J.Moore T. Larkin, J. Walsh and Matty Ryan starred for the Caroreigh men, who were awarded the match despite a strongly worded objection from Ballyhogue. They then travelled to Major Harmon's field at Carrigbyrne in November to take on Campile. A newspaper account of the match referred to the roughness of the play and stated that Caroreigh fielded players from Wexford, New Ross, Ballymitty and Taghmon. Campile couldn't match this assembly and one wit summarised the game 'as a gooseberry against New York'. In a letter to the editor of the People Newspaper 'Dumbfounded Spectator' claimed that Caroreigh had ten county men in their ranks and pleaded with the County Committee 'to ensure that next years championship be played under the parish rule'. Like Ballyhogue before them Campile objected, but their objection was thrown out because it was claimed that certain members of their team had competed in athletic meetings outside G.A.A. rules.

In April 1902, Caroreigh took on Camblin Rovers in the County Semi-final at the Showgrounds, Enniscorthy. On a wet day they had their supporters cheering when veteran Moore scored a goal midway through the first half. Strange to relate, though they pressed hard through the efforts of Moore, Callaghan and Furlong of Lady's Island, they failed to register another score and lost the exciting match 0-8 to 1-0.

Newspapers of the time reported widespread dissatisfaction within the county at the disorganised state of G.A.A. affairs. They claimed that objections had become contagious and that people wanted the bye laws abolished claiming that they had been framed to suit one or two clubs. 'Why' it was asked 'is it that in Gaelic Football no match can be played without a harvest of objections to follow'.

At a meeting of the County Committee in May 1903, the 1902 championships were discussed at length and it was considered advisable to abandon them and immediately start a championship for 1903. The Committee decided for the first time that sub committees be appointed in each district to run their own championships. It was decided also to introduce a junior grade. It is not clear, however, what grade parish teams favoured initially since neither Taghmon nor Caroreigh entered teams in 1903. In 1904, however, Taghmon entered the junior ranks, and the following team lost to Ballymitty in the Wexford District Championship on a score of 1-6 to 0-2. B.Brereton, J. Nash, P. Lee, P. Fitzgerald, G. Fitzgerald, P. Morgan, A. Pigott, J. Cogley, J. Murphy, J. Pigott B. Pigott, J. Hayes, P. Condon, N. Brereton and P. Cogley. They received an even greater beating from the Young Irelands in the 1905 championship, failing to score and conceding 4-7.

It seems that interest in football was once more an the wane and the parish again failed to field teams in 1906. Indeed the Brereton and Condon brother as well as W. Martin, J. Fitzgerald and J. Nash lined out for Galbally in the Enniscorthy district championship. Some football was played in the parish however and a report described how the 'Ballymore boys absolutely walked around the Taghmon boys' in a friendly at Ballymore.

Less friendly images were generated however by 'Touchline's' impression of a match between Taghmon and Insurgents. Using amusing hyperbole laced with sarcasm, he asked 'What is football'?

Football is a sport of safety valve for the long pent-up feelings of super endurance of the trials of the world; which means that when one set of 17 young men can find a party of 17 other young men as eruptive as themselves, they determine on destruction subject to certain rules on which the law winks and the people approve. They then adjourn to some public place and beat each other for an hour with mostly all of their clothes off. Large crowds gather to see them do it and when all the boil is worked off, those who are dead are buried and those who live go home as if nothing had happened.

He went on to say that

The Insurgents were determined enough, but not nearly so well trained as their opponents, not that that is saying much by any means. They process good material all right but have not yet made the most of it.


Taghmon juniors defeated Screen in a first round match in July 1908. The publication in the Free Post of notes from Foulksmills and Taghmon districts provide for the first time an insight into how a football match impacted upon the general population. 'Football is the principal topic in the village at present' wrote the correspondent 'On the night of the victory the ovation was startling. Not alone were the old men and children interested in the matter, but the women, especially the mothers of players, were as proud as an Irish Mother could be'.

Later notes refer to training and the determination of the team to bid for county honours. The correspondent also expressed the hope that Screen would include 3 or 4 Taghmon men in their county junior selection.

Before a huge gathering in the district semi-final however, Taghmon succumbed rather tamely to a much more determined Bannow outfit on a score 1-11 to 0-1.


Apart from the athletic sports meetings run under G.A.A. rules from 1902 on, Gaelic Football remained, until 1908, the only Irish game promoted in the parish. In the late Summer and Autumn of that year however, both hurling and handball replaced football and for a short period became the favourite Gaelic pastimes.


Although handball was included as one of the games to be fostered by the G.A.A. in 1884, due to its association with cash stakes and gambling it didn't come under its patronage until the 1920s . Indeed a call was made at a county board meeting in 1909 'to suspend everybody that looks at a game of handball'.

In spite of general antipathy, the game was popular in certain areas of the county. However apart from reference in 1889 to Brown and Furlong playing at Bridgetown, the game was not mentioned in a Taghmon context again until 1908. District notes for that and subsequent years show that villagers had taken up the game and were using every 'dead wall' available to indulge in their pastime. Their activities prompted the notes corespondent to muse:

Now that a revival of the grand old game of our fathers is taking place all over the county, we look to the young men of Taghmon to see that a proper alley is provided so that the fine old game could soon become popular with the youth.

This call was repeated during the following years and while several sites were considered suitable, nothing happened until 1913. In July of that year it was reported that work had begun on a new Ball Alley at Trinity and that half of the money required for its completion had been collected. The alley described 'as a handsome building' was finished in June, 1914 and among the first to use its facilities were locals J. Codd and T. Fitzhenry, Bob Doyle and John Roche of Tracystown as well as J. Furlong and T. Doyle.


'The American Invasion' team gave an exhibition of hurling at Crosstown in 1888 and fixture lists show that apart from Glynn only 'over the water' teams at the time embraced hurling to any degree. In 1908 however, hurling became very fashionable and in common with many districts west of the Slaney, Camross under the captaincy of Edward O'Gorman, formed a club around September. They played their first game against near neighbours Doononey in November in a match described as 'utterly lacking in science', and lost 1-7 to 0-3. A lack of science was hardly surprising considering O'Gorman's description in later years of how certain players pulled bushes and boughs from hedgerows and ditches and fashioned make shift hurleys as they walked to play their games .

In December a further impetus was given to the G.A.A. movement in the parish when a meeting was held in the village to form a hurling team. While the meeting elected Mr. Wm. Keating, Patron, it was decided to defer naming the club or electing a captain. It was stated that M. Kelly, R. Brereton, G. Rochford and W. Martin had worked indefatigably to form the club. Their first outing was against Camross in the old racecourse field in January 1909. Despite a cutting wind a large crowd turned out to see how the debutantes would acquit themselves. Although their backs played well enough, their efforts were neutralised by weak forward play and Camross, despite showing a distinct lack of combination, came out on top by 1-3 to 0-1. The team trained in M. Roche's field at Poulmarle and played several practice matches, including a return game with Camross. In May they played Glynn in the first ever Championship match involving a Taghmon parish hurling team. Reflecting their inexperience they lost heavily in a one sided game that according to a report 'provided merriment for the dwindling spectators'. Taghmon fielded only 16 players and were two down when another player received an injury before half time. The following week in a friendly against Skeeter Park in which O'Gorman, Condon and Rochford distinguished themselves, they scored a resounding 3-9 to 1-5 victory. In June, although out of the championship, club members felt it necessary to call a meeting to arrange for election of officers. At the meeting Ed. Rochford was elected captain, J. Whelan Treas., and Frank Fitzgerald Sec.

Reflecting the growing popularity of the game in the village a team for juveniles called Taghmon Emmets was formed. They beat Tracystown in May by 1-9 to 1-1. The Williams brothers. and J. Condon for Taghmon, P. McGrath and R. Reville for Tracystown were singled out. The team went on to play three games against Glynn, losing the first and winning the second. In the final rubber in September, the older and physically stronger Glynn boys won out. Grannell, Leonard, Williams, Condon, Roche, Cooper, Gorman and McCormack showed promise.

In June what was described as 'two interesting hurling games were played in the vicinity of the historic Rock of Camross', (Deacon's Sportsfield) A crowd described 'as greater than the event warranted' saw Camross loose to Clongeen and Taghmon beat Adamstown. In a stroke by stroke account of both games covering 2 columns in the Free Press, the only Camross player mentioned was goalie Jim Lawlor. Taghmon fared much better having goalie Brereton, Cullen at fullback, Cogley and Rochford at centre field, the brothers Martin and Andy Furlong in the forwards as well as Pender and Kelly mentioned. Taghmon hosted the return match with Adamstown in July. This game as well as a tie between Glynn and Newbawn was played in Roche's field at Poulmarle and a feature of the days entertainment was the presence of St. Fintan's fife and drum band of Taghmon, who played the teams onto the field.

In July also, the Camross hurling club held its first A.G.M. in Deacon's Public house. Edward O' Gorman presided over a full turn out of members. The following officers were elected: Moses Foley (captain), James Carroll (sec.) and James Morrissey (Treas.).

Edward O'Gorman - the first Captain of Camross Hurling Team in 1910

Evidence that the Gaelic movement in the district went beyond the playing of games was illustrated when the meeting decided to write to firms of Irish outfitters for quotations for a badly needed set of jerseys.

The consensus in the area was that 'assiduous practice had made the team extremely proficient in the use of the caman and that they should be well able to hold their own with any team in the Ross district'. This optimism was built on sand however, because in April 1910 at Barretts Pk., New Ross.; ''Camross made no stand at all' and were trounced on their championship debut by Templeudugan. Apart from inept play from both sides, the only other feature of the game was its premature end. This resulted from a fracas which came about when a dismissed Camross player refused to leave the field. On duty for Camross that day were: J. Murphy, J. Parle, E.O'Gorman, J. Carroll, N. Egan, J. Kendrick, J. O'Gorman, M. Jordan, P. Jordan, T. Edwards, M. Sweeney, Moses Foley, N. Rochford, B. Martin and J. Fox.

Jim Morrissey, Treasurer of Camross Hurling Team 1910

Despite their poor showing, the match reporter thought Camross 'a fine set of athletes' and opined 'that they will be heard of again in gaelic circles'. The encounter however, ended that team's brief flirtation with hurling.

Their humbling experience was not unique by any means. Following an initial bout of enthusiasm for hurling, the demands of competition made many clubs realise that it was folly to try to make hurlers out of grown men, and that it was much easier to find 17 competent footballers in an area, than it was to find one hurler .


Meanwhile, reflecting the movement back to football generally, the football club in Taghmon was reorganised. Infused with new blood, they went into training for their championship tilt with Rosslare.

In June at Wexford Pk., Rosslare strengthened by the Lady's Island men, proved too strong for Taghmon and won 1-4 to 0-4. In the park great interest was aroused in the dispatch of two carrier pigeons to Ballygeary announcing the half and full time scores. Taghmon team: 'Sandy' Cullen, Peter Fox, R. Brereton, P. Brereton, M. Martin, W. Martin, M. Crowley, M. Condon, T. Roche, W. Mills, M. Donnelly, J. Cogley, J. Fitzgerald, J. Monaghan, J. Foley, W. Foley and M. Ryan.

The years 1911 and 1912 were slack, the parish failing to enter either a hurling or football team for the championships. Indeed the only reference to Gaelic activity during these years was to a juvenile hurling game in which Taghmon defeated Modubeg by 3 goals to 1 goal. When the draw was made for the various district championships for 1913, Taghmon was not included either. In April of that year however, new football clubs were formed in Taghmon and Modubeg. It was stated that the latter team, captained by 'that veteran Gael' Matty Ryan would affiliate shortly.

The reconstituted St. Fintan's were admitted to the first division of the Wexford district at its May meeting. Following a new draw they were paired against the Forth and Bargy Heroes. This match was played at Murrintown in July and resulted in an easy win for the Heroes by 2-4 to 0-2. Lining out for St Fintan's that day were: J. O 'Connor (captain), Ed Rochford Wm. Blake, Wm. Martin, Michael Martin ,Robert Brereton, J Cullimore, J. Parle, George Parle, J Pender, Phil Jackman, J. Cullen, P Walsh, Wm. Walsh.

While that game ended championship aspirations for the year, renewed interest in football was reflected in the number of friendlies played. In July Camross beat Barmoney but then lost heavily to Clongeen in September. In what was a difficult year for the new St Fintan's club they lost to Murrintown in September and to Clongeen at Horetown in December.

The year 1914 marked the first date on which Taghmon entered both hurling and football teams in the Wexford district championships, Kehoe's field at Aughfad House was procured for training and it was reported that J.O'Connor, F.Ward and M.J. Martin did everything possible to ensure that both teams would made a good showing. If the number of injuries sustained during hurling practice is anything to go by, practice must have been intense. It was remarked 'that if the Taghmon team keep on injuring themselves at this rate, they shortly will not be able to have a team on the field at all' . In preparation for respective championships, both teams played several practice matches. In February they took on their Adamstown counterparts at Camross. Reporting the day's activities, the notes correspondent concluded that 'Taghmon put up a good fight in both matches and for rather raw material showed good form and later in the season can be expected to give a good account of themselves'. In March the hurlers scored a facile 7-4 to 1-0 win over Blackhall in Ryan's field at Tomcoole. However they barely shaded the return game 2-0 to 1-1. At a tournament game at Wexford Pk. in April, the footballers suffered yet another defeat at the hands of old rivals Forth Heroes. The match was described 'as a crude but tame affair in which neither side showed exertion or determination'. The Taghmon Team who were unlucky to lose on a score of 2-0 to 1-2 was: Bob Brereton, Peter Brereton, John O Capt., Lar Carley, P. Fox, Michael Martin, W. Martin, Wm. Walsh, John Cullen, Patrick Condon, J. Pender, Michael Cooper and Ed. Rochford.

While the footballers were struggling, the hurlers had an easy first round win over St. Ibars at Murrintown. While the match reporter thought 'that players in general indulged in too much go for the man style of play' it was never the less 'a grand thing to see a team winning from a district where there was never a hurling team before'.

In June however, in meadowlike conditions at Lightwater 'where repeated drawing was the order' the hurlers made their exit from the championship, failing to raise a flag against the Volunteers who managed to notch up 5-3. On duty for Taghmon were: J.O'Conner, E. Rochford, P. Brereton, M. Cooper, P. Fox, J. Cullen, W. Furlong, W. Martin, M.J. Martin, P. Condon, J. Pender, E. Larkin, L. Crowley, P. Quigley and A. Furlong.

The Footballers had better luck the following week beating Rathangan/Cleariestown at Trinity in a match organised to raise funds for the new ball alley there. Both teams travelled minus half a dozen of their players and had to canvass the field in order to make up teams. Taghmon secured the services of some of the Ballymitty men and won by 2-2 to 0-2. Canvassing appears to have been common in these days and could explain some incomplete team lists.


Apart from another friendly, that match against Rathangan marked the end of St Fintan's involvement for 1914 and at least 5 of their players joined the newly formed Aughfad Stars in June. This new team from the South Eastern side of the parish, led by Jim Kehoe, affiliated immediately. A newspaper item described how 'they had become completely organised and equipped with a new set of jerseys supplied by well known draper Mr P Rochford'. They got down to business immediately with a 2-2 to nil win over Barntown and concluded 1914 by 'giving a grand display' in outclassing Taghmon at Taghmon. They continued their winning ways in 1915, defeating Little Cullenstown in Parle's field at Clovervalley in a match in which Mr John Hamilton 'got a hard time of it'.

In June, now called Trinity Stars they defeated Parnells in a friendly when Screen failed to fulfil their championship engagement. They were described as 'the better exponents of the code' and having 'brilliant forwards' when disposing of Blues and Whites on a score of 1-4 to 0-1 in the district final at Bridgetown in August. Some of the Wexford men 'showed a marked tendency to wrestle' and the game deteriorated into a bout of fisticuffs towards the finish. Indeed a section of the crowd rushed the field and joined the melee.

Intact, they travelled to Adamstown in February to take on Ballyhogue/Davidstown United in the Co. semi-final. In a well contested game in one of Miss Downes' fields, Ballyhogue led by 1-0 to 0-1 at half time. The Stars however, went one better than Caroreigh 14 years earlier, booking their place in the Co. final by scoring 1-3 to 0-0 in the closing stages. The final result was - Stars 1-4 Ballyhogue 1-0.

Although 'Weakened by some of their best players joining up to beat the Germans', The Stars lined out against Gorey in the Co. final at Bellefield on the last Saturday of March 1916 In a poor game that started in a hurricane, Gorey opened with the elements in their favour and went onto the offensive immediately. Their attack however, lacked combination and vigour and the Stars defenders had little difficulty in safeguarding their territory. Even though Jas Kehoe managed to score a point against the elements, there was consternation among the Stars supporters when the wind abated leaving Gorey 2 points to 1 ahead at half time. Their favourites however, resumed with renewed vigour and following a free kick by Kehoe, Tom Codd scored a splendid goal. This was a significant score and paved the way for the parish's first championship, since Gorey only managed to add a single point to their total. The final score was Stars 1-1, Gorey 0-3.

To win a Championship in one of Wexford's golden years was a huge achievement and underpinned, not only the pioneering work of 'Gauger' Murphy and his comrades of 1886, but also the endeavours of all who responded to Cusack's call during the intervening years. The men who achieved the historic breakthrough and heralded a long and fruitful association of parish teams with the Junior ranks were; J Kehoe Capt, P Codd goal, G Parle, R Brereton, N Codd, L Crowley, J Pender, T Codd, E Rochford, M Parle, P Crowley, P Nash, Jas. Codd, W Martin, and J Cullen. (For full panel see photo)

Three members of this team, 'Skipper' Codd, Matty Parle and Jim Kehoe were selected on the Wexford junior football team in Easter 1916. Matty Parle recalled how they disembarked from the train and walked through the flaming Sackville St. (later O'Connell St.) on their way to Croke Park . The Easter Rebellion of 1916 had just ended.

Press reports indicate that the team and followers were very proud of the parish's first victory and Mr E Rochford, presiding at the club's AGM the following week, congratulated members of the team on the achievement of winning two sets of medals - one for the Wexford District League and the other for the 1915 Championship, 'Which they won on their merits'.

And these are deeds which will not pass, and names that must not wither

TRINITY STARS County Junior Football Champions 1915

(Back row L to R): Paddy Fox (in uniform),Tom Codd, Tom Fane ,Paddy Nash,Lar Crowley,Rob Brereton, Willie Fox, (Middle row L to R): Pat Crowley, Nick Codd, Jim Kehoe (capt), Matty Parle, ''Skipper' Codd, (Front row L to R): Peter Fox, Tommy Nash, Jack Fane, Ned Rochford, John Fitzhenry, John Cullen, Pat Devereux. (missing was the photo-shy Billy Martin)


The Free Press,Wexford
Jack Hawkins,Clonerane.
The New Ross Standard.
Aidan O'Gorman, Camross
James O'Sullivan,Camross
Mrs. William Parle, Clovervalley
The People Newspaper, Wexford.
Andreas Ryan,Taghmon
Mike Waters, Ballyweather.
Wexford Co. Library


  1. A History of Hurling, by King J,S. (1996) Gill & Macmillan Ltd
  2. The People, 6 March,1901
  3. The People, 20 May, 1950
  4. The Kilmannon Boys in Wexford Ballads collected by Paddy Perry, pp.102- 105
  5. Centenary Tribute to GAA in Wexford, published by People Newspapers in 1984
  6. Conversations between James O'Sullivan, Dungeer and Edward O'Gorman as repeated to the author.
  7. The Free Press, 3 September, 1910
  8. The Free Press, 14 February, 1914
  9. Discussion between the late Matty Parle and Tom Williams as repeated to the author.